Tuesday, December 27, 2016

2016 At the Movies

A year ago at this time, I was planning to post a list of my ten favorite film of 2015 - only to realize that I had seen only 10 movies in total that year! I have done better this year. In fact, I have seen exactly twice as many movies as I saw last year. But I am not going to attempt to rank all 20. For one thing, they are really too different from one another to be so facilely compared. I would recommend most of them unreservedly. So I will simply list them in three broad groups, with no internal ranking within each group: Outstanding (worth seeing even more than once), Good (definitely worth seeing at least once), OK (but could just as well be missed with no real loss), and, finally, Not Worth Seeing.

OUTSTANDING:

Jackie
Manchester By the Sea
The Innocents
Sunset Song
Denial
The People vs. Fritz Bauer
Sully
Florence Foster Jenkins

GOOD
The Lady in the Van
Genius
Allied
Hell or High Water
Café Society
Deepwater Horizon
Indignation
Love and Friendship
Maggie’s Plan

OK
Risen
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2

NOT WORTH SEEING
Ben-Hur

All in all, 2016 has been a good year at the movies. May 2017 be likewise!


No comments:

Post a Comment